Simatography 

and homebase of SIFF

Forums

Forum Home > Sims 3 Machinima Tips and Tricks > Blender Animation Plugins by 'a'

sylentwhysper

This plugin is for Blender created by 'a.'  This is to help create animations and poses and simplifies the process from what it was before.  For fans of Blender, this is a great add-on that will save time and is more efficient in creating animations and poses.  It cuts out several steps by eliminating the use of AnimTool to convert files back and forth and makes the dealing of IK Chains a lot simpler.

Also, 'a' has provided Sims Rigs of all ages as well as rigs of pets.  You can now easily animate and pose with pets.  A huge addition that will help is that a .blend file with two sims in the same workspace will make it MUCH easier to execute interactive couple animations and couple poses.  You don't have to work on rigs in separate windows anymore.

The newest update also allows import of objects, clothes, accessories with one click of a button.  Very easy and intuitive.

Lots of in depth tutorials by Cmomoney supports this Blender plugin.  Follow the link below to find the downloads and the tutorials.  :)

Check it out:

Sims 3 Clip Tool For Blender

Updated 1/20/14 - Thanks to Ballantyne for keeping up with this thread while I was away.  Link is now updated.

--

July 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gus Rockman
Administrator

YES! This is awesome! Thanks Sy! :)

Now I should get used to making animations. LOL

--

July 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

Awesome Gus, I hope you will try this new plugin soon.  As I work with it more, it's soooo much simpler than before.  I can complete a pose and have it in my game within a few minutes, it's AMAZING!!  And I'm sure animations are the same too.  :)

--

July 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gus Rockman
Administrator

Maybe I should try doing poses first. I think it would be much easier. XD

--

July 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

The blender plugins are awesome :) BTW, the link at the top seems to be broken, here is the new link:

http://s3py.wordpress.com/download/

I've been messing around in Blender, making a couple of basic animations for my machinima. It's really fun! (But time consuming, lol).

March 6, 2013 at 7:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

The link I posted above also isn't working anymore, so here is another one:

http://sims3cliptool.wordpress.com

(The pictures aren't showing up, but the plugins and the written instructions are there, which is all you need.)

Here's a few good Blender tutorials that I found helpful:

http://sims3cliptool.wordpress.com/tutorials/completeposetutorial/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3q33yOE-DA ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shK72Sd6VhI (how to animate, same principles apply)

These work for both Mac & PC (although you will need to get S3pe working on a mac in order to convert the .animation files to .package files)

April 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

Thanks for the updates Ballantyne. I'll be reorganizing some of this section soon so I'll use your updates.

--

May 7, 2013 at 5:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

No worries, Minraed :) Thanks.

May 7, 2013 at 7:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anches

Hi Ballantyne, I looking for a tutorial to use Sims3 animations with the newest blender. But didn´t find anything, only for poses or in spanish :/

--

May 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

**************************************************************************************************************************

EDIT (July 2013):  I found out recently that The Sims 3 actually plays back animations at 30 frames-per-second, not 24 frames-per-second. To fix this, please set your fps playback to 30 in Blender under the "render" tab so you can see how fast they will look in the game.

Please disregard mentions of 24fps in the subsequent posts (it would probably get too messy if I try edit them now). 

**************************************************************************************************************************

Hi Anches,

I am using Blender 2.65 at the moment. There isn't a tutorial specifically on animating for the Sims 3 in Blender yet (that I could find).

But if you follow the pose tutorials I posted above, animating is just placing multiple poses (keyframes) on the same timeline using "LocRot" (just as you would with poses).

e.g: 

There are 24 30 frames per second, so if you set the first keyframe at 0 frames, then move the cursor to 24 30, then pose the sim and set the keyframe again, it will take the sim 1 second to animate from one pose to the next.

There is a basic animating tutorial here, even though he is animating a cube instead of a sim, the concept is the same.

I still have a lot to learn myself, I have been googling a lot , asking questions and looking at Blender forums to try and learn what I can. I might make a mini-tutorial once I get better at animating, but there is still a lot I don't know.

Anyway, hope this helps.

May 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

Just to add to my last post, I also found the animation tutorials by SS Productions & Nittens very helpful when making my first animations. Even though they are using Milkshape/ 3DS to animate, the basic info can be applied to Blender :)

May 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

I still despise blender. :)

--

May 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

I absolutely love it! haha :lol:

May 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anches

Ohhh, THANKS SO MUCH Ballantyne. I didn´t know that there are 24 frames per second, it´s very helpful.

And thanks for the links. :) I did try a little animation and it´s so great to see it:) But have problems with change the position and zoom. I did zoom for example the hand for an other position and at play back the animation, I have seen this zoom or change bottom-up :roll:

I think only can change the position at the blue joints position, right? And then I see the animation at play back only?

OMG, sorry for my English :| I have been googling a lot too and have seen the great tutorial by SS, but it´s with Milkshape. I still have a lot to learn myself too but it´s really fun to make it :)

--

May 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

You're welcome :) That's good you were able to get a test animation going.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by zoom, do you mean zoom the camera view in Blender? There are a few different ways to change the camera view. Use a mouse with a scroll wheel to zoom the camera in and out. Hold "shift" and move the scroll wheel to move up and down. Hold "control" and use the scroll wheel to go side-to-side. 'Click-and-hold' the scroll wheel and then move the mouse to change the camera to any view you want.You can also use the number pad on the right hand side of the keyboard to for precise camera views.

Regarding joints: you can only move a joint that is highlighted in blue. You highlight it by right-clicking on it.

Below the timeline, there is a "play" button, to play back the animation in Blender. Sometimes it might play back a little slow, depending on how long your animation is.

Yes, custom animations are really fun to make :) Sometimes it can take a long time to get it looking natural, but it can be quite rewarding to see the end result in the game ^_^

May 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anches

Thanks so much again Ballantyne for the great info to use the mouse with a scroll. :D Before  I used a "Magic mouse" without scroll and had not the chance for zoom or for the side-to-side function :roll:

And now I have made a little animation and have seen it in my game :) But the playback in the blender is somehow slower as in the game. Is it the real time in the playback function? And do you know if I can delete a frame in the timeline?

It´s really so great to see the animation in the game :) I think I will use one in my next episode. :o

--

May 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

Anches at May 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Thanks so much again Ballantyne for the great info to use the mouse with a scroll. :D Before  I used a "Magic mouse" without scroll and had not the chance for zoom or for the side-to-side function :roll:

And now I have made a little animation and have seen it in my game :) But the playback in the blender is somehow slower as in the game. Is it the real time in the playback function? And do you know if I can delete a frame in the timeline?

It´s really so great to see the animation in the game :) I think I will use one in my next episode. :o

No problem, Anches :)

To answer your other questions, as you playback an animation in Blender, the frames-per-second (fps) will be displayed in the top left-hand corner.

If it says "24fps" and the text is in white, it means it is playing back in real-time,and will play at the same speed in the game :)

eg:

Sometimes the playback is slow and the fps will be displayed in red :/

e.g

A trick that might help speed up the playback is turning off the rig visibility. If you click on the picture of the eye next to "amRig" (or afRig, or whatever rig you are using), it will hide it.

e.g.

This helps to speed it up for me ^_^

Regarding deleting a keyframe: It took me a while to figure out how to delete a keyframe when I was beginning, but it is actually very easy to do. Here are the instructions (I posted this on Modthesims as well, but I will re-post here :)

How to delete a keyframe

1. Highlight the keyframe on the timeline (and make sure all joints are selected with the 'a' button)

2. Just below the timeline (next to the record button) choose 'LocRot' from the options.

3. Then, press that little button that looks like a key with a red diagonal line across. This will delete the keyframe 

Hope this helps ;)

BTW, my posts are getting a bit long, sorry. I might need to re-type a proper mini-tutorial one of these days. :lol:

May 24, 2013 at 4:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Fadhil Yudhawanto (Bahariawans Studio)

Thank you sylentwhysper for the informations, and Ballantyne for the tools and tutorial :D
I usually use blender for the animations, but the use of old armateur is a little bit difficult because of no texture.

--

May 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anches

Hi Ballantyne,

this helps so much THANKS <3 Now I can test it in real time and delete a keyframe :D Thanks for this great trick, it´s so helpful.

I have seen at your photo, your amrig has a hairstyle. I use the Blender 2.67a and my amrig don´t have hair, during the afrig has hair in the blender, that´s  really curious :/

I have still one question, hope it´s ok ;)

I have export my animation and I would like work for it later again, then I have import my .animation file but  can no longer change  the old animation. :( There are a lot of yellow keyframes at the timeline and I only can make new keyframes. Is there a trick too?

Sorry for my English ;)

I wish you a wonderful start in the new week and THANKS so much again :D

Anches 

--

May 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

@Fadhil, you should just go ahead and download these newer rigs from sims3cliptool. The textures are fine, plus it has eyeball textures too, so it is much easier to make facial animations and move eyes around.

@ Anches, Hmmm. Not sure why the male hair is not showing up for you. My amRig and afRig rigs show up like this:

I know there is a tutorial to customise the rig with different clothes of your choice but I don't know how to add different hair, sorry :(

Regarding editing your animations later, I sometimes save my animations as a seperate .blend file before I export it to an .animation file, that way I can easily tweak them later if I want.

If you just import the old .animation file back into Blender, like you said, it will show up with a keyframe on every frame :( (this happens with EA animations too). If I must edit it, I first delete the keyframes that seem unnecessary, and then edit from there.

Not sure if this helps or not :/ Oh well. There is still soooo much for me to learn XD

Anyway, Hope you have a great week too :) Have fun.

May 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.