Simatography 

and homebase of SIFF

Forums

Forum Home > SIFF Spring 2014 - CLOSED > Spring 2014 Battle of the Bands

Jorgha Haq
Administrator

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

January 6, 2014 will be the offical start of the S.I.F.F Battle of the Bands. If you wish to get started before then, feel free. We won't stop you. We have changed the name from  "Band Challege" to Battle of the Bands because it sounds so much cooler and it looks awesome on our Battle of the Bands logo that Gus Rockman designed. The dude is awesome, being able to take what I am visualizing in my head and make it happen. 

Newt Davies of Toxic Dream will once again be the face of the Band Challenge and you will be seeing more of him. 

We will be doing Battle of the Bands version of Rising Stars again this cycle along with some of the mini photo competitions to spark creativity. These photos are used to help promote your bands/artists to the Sims Community. Be sure to announce and promote your band in this thread.

A few notes before we get started: (EDITED DEC. 25, 2013)

1. Please make sure that you send us an email at [email protected] with your name, user name, country and band/performer name.
  2. We will need an "official" promotional poster/image of your band/performer for the playbill and for promotional purposes. Ideally the image should be 598 x 842 pixels. SEE NEWT'S POST ABOUT THIS FURTHER DOWN IN THE THREAD
  3. Machinima is NOT required. However, unless you tell us otherwise, any machinima submitted as part of the Battle of the Bands will be automatically entered in the music catagory.
  4. IMPORTANT - Unless otherwise stated please place all band photos in THIS GALLERY where we can find them. Remember, anything that you submit will be used for promotional stuff but the Simatography staff and we need to be able to find it easily.

...and with that...

WELCOME TO THE OFFICAL S.I.F.F BATTLE OF THE BANDS THREAD!

LET THE MADNESS BEGIN!

December 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jorgha Haq
Administrator

Welcome to the 2014 Spring S.I.F.F. Battle of the Bands. Originally this competition was called the S.I.F.F. Band Challenge and started in Fall of 2012 where it gained a popularity that none of us were expecting. It's a fun way for people to express their creativity without having to create machinima. It encourages picture taking. We realize that not everyone has the desire, time or ability to create machinima and we want to give everyone who wants to a chance to participate in some way.

So here we are. Let me introduce myself. I am known in The Sims Community as Jorgha/Georga Haq or by my roleplay persona Katja (Kat) Michaels. I entered that first Band Challenge with a punk rock band, Toxic Dream, and won. Today, Toxic Dream bass player, Newt Davies and I are in charge of the Battle of the Bands.

Newt: Didn't anyone tell you? I'm playing punk rock theremin now.

Jorgha: You are playing what?

Newt: Punk rock theremin. You know, the etherphone. One of those things that you just have to get your hand near an antenna and it oscillates. It's totally punk rock.

Jorgha: I didn't think you knew the word oscillates.

Newt: I do have a college degree, you know.

Jorgha: So, if you aren't playing bass any more, who is?

Newt: We hired this new guy, Phoenix. He looks like he belongs in a boy band. If it ever comes out that he was any way inspired by New Kids on the Block he's out of here.

Jorgha: You know, not everything has to be punk rock.

Newt: People keep trying to convince me of that. If it's not punk rock, then what is it? I'll tell you what it is. Boring.

Anyway, as I was saying, Newt and I run the Battle of the Bands. We have some cool things planned and if you have any questions feel free to ask. We are also here to give guidance if it's needed. 

--

http://www.simsweeklyworldnews.info
http://jorgha-haq.tumblr.com/

December 24, 2013 at 3:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nestea7

So I’m not too sure how I’m supposed to go about applying but I’ll do my best.

This is the band Night Crawlers. They are a group of four vampires who are based in the Bridgeport area. The band consists of

Wilhemina “Will” Jones – Keyboardist/ backup vocals/ founder

Amber Deed – guitarist/ Lead vocalist

Skylar Trenton – Bassist/ backup vocals

Trixi Laker – Drummer

Each member has a distinct personality causing them to be a bit of an odd, dysfunctional family. But for them it works. More pictures will be on the way. But for more info about them, feel free to check out their tag on my tumblr and their story’s blog.

Tumblr Tag

Story

December 24, 2013 at 4:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

exciting to see bands so eager to get started. This will be a very exciting Battle of the Bands for sure!

--

December 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

OHhhhh!  Awesome bands!!  Can't wait to start fangirling!

--

December 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Newt Davies

We're getting started already? Who jumped the gun here? Knew we should have opened this a month ago but no...no one listens to me. "Newt's a weirdo, pay him no mind."...."Don't listen to Newt, he doesen't know what he's talking about." Yea...well...look where we are at now. Anyway, I have a few things here that I need to announce that are important.

BAND POSTERS

Someone *cough*Jorgha/Kat*cough* forgot to do this last cycle. Not cool. It's mentioned up in the "Important inforamtion" section that we need band posters for promotional stuff. That's true and all but here is the deal with them:

• Just like the movie posters, band posters will be voted on by the Sims Community and a favorite poster will be chosen. Posters need to be in by March 1.
  • Posters need to be 598x842 pixels at at least 100 dpi. Personally I like 300 dpi. Just sayin'.
  • Post your band posters to THIS GALLERY and share them in this thread.
  • These posters should be as punk rock as you can make them because they will be used to promote your bands by the SIFF staff.
If you need help with your posters check out THIS CREATIVE GUIDELINE published in Spring of 2012.

PHOTO TOPICS

Another topic of interest. We like to do photo challenges around here because we love pictures. Seriously, if you have a totally awesome picture book there is no need for reading. However, we do encourage reading, it's how you learn things and a totally punk rock form of entertainment. Anyway, last time around the weekly photos challenges didn't work out quite how we wanted them to so we are going to do things a bit differently this time.

These photo prompts are designed to help us get to know your band. The more people know about your band the more the more educated they will be when voting starts. They are also designed to show off your creativity in promoting your band.

The deadline for all of these pictures is March 14. You can do all of them or some of them. Just remember, the more you give us the more we can promote you.

SPRING 2014 PHOTO PROMPT LIST
Post photos to THIS GALLERY

• Magazine cover - design a magazine cover with your band on it. It can be any kind of magazine from a music magazine to a fashion magazine. Image should be 598 x 842 at a minimum of 100 dpi.
  • Endorsement - bands get endorsements all the time for guitars, drums, etc. Show us what your band is endorsing.
  • Product Line - your band or one of your band members have been contracted for their own line of products (think about all the female pop stars with their own perfume). What sort of product line would your band/band member/performer put their name on?
  • Charity Event - show us your band/performer doing something for the charity of their choice.
  • Live Performance - just what it says. we want to see what the band looks like on stage
  • Stage Fashion - show us what they are wearing on stage this year. Oh, and as a side note, don't take fashion advice from Toxic Dream's drummer. No matter what sort of idea Adonis has, it's totally not punk rock and is bad...very very bad.
  • Paparazzi - (did you know this word originates from the Italian language and describes a particularly annoying noise such as  that of a buzzing mosquito) What sort of "scandal" or otherwise would your band be involved in that would get the attention of the paparazzi?
  • Flyer - you know those fliers that people drop off buildings in mass littering events or staple to phone poles to promote stuff. We want to see one of those for your band.
  • CD Cover - show us your latest CD art (google blank CD case and you will find templates you can use)
  • Red Carpet - we want to see your band on the red carpet. You can download one of our past SIFF venues HERE

December 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CatKetty21

Ooooh! This moment has come again. I'll make sure to stay around to see the performers. Even if you don't see us, Excessive Solution is watching you. ;)

Wait, does that sound stalkerish?! ^^

--

December 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jorgha Haq
Administrator

No more stalkerish than anyone else around here ;)

You know, you can create a new band and entere again if you want...

--

December 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moon Entertainment

Guess it's time we make this official uh. Well we're Eternity an all boy Korean/Japaness band. We first participated in this a year ago (hard to believe right) and now we're back ready to try again with a much stronger team. We're looking forward to competing. 

Shin Woo- Leader, Singer
Shikamaru- Rapper
Minhyun- Singer
Ren-Singer, Mangane
Aron- Singer, Rapper, Dancer

--

December 29, 2013 at 4:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jorgha Haq
Administrator

Welcome back, Demeter & Eternity!

--

December 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

Welcome back Eternity! It's great to see so much excitement for this part of SIFF already.

--

December 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KoreanSimz4

Mine dosn't look as good as demeters since i am new XD but here is mine :)

December 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

It is a great start, and this is what Simatography and SIFF are all about - having fun and learning from each other.

If you look into the forums here... you will find some threads with tips on photo taking that might help. Of course, now we have pose player which we never did before and that makes things even more fun.

http://simatography.webs.com/apps/forums/show/6306361-photography-tips-and-tricks

Also, if you go back to this old booklet we made, it has some great photography tips. Many of these were early in Sims so we didn't have pose player back then, or some other newer things, but you might still find it helpful.

http://issuu.com/minraed/docs/shutterbugs_tips_book_1

And, if you are really patient, you can look through some of the old Simatography and SIFF magazines where you will find that we occasionally would add in some photography and machinima tips.

--

December 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CatKetty21

BAM!

Make place everyone, here's Tanisha Talley. She's an RnB singer/performer. She's eager to join the battle and show what she got.

Facebook

--

January 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CatKetty21

YouTube (videos will come soon)
--

January 5, 2014 at 5:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KoreanSimz4

January 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

Korsims, nice work.  Catketty, lovely sim!!  Demeter, Eternity seems to have a lot of charisma and energy!  :D

--

January 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jorgha Haq
Administrator

The  posters are looking awesome guys!

Korsims - so glad you got the pose player working. The posters are awesome :) Keep up the great work.

Cat - thanks for giving me another poster to work with for promotional stuff. Much appreciated.

--

January 6, 2014 at 3:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vincent Weis

My humble greetings to everyone and great work from the participants. Tonight will be the night I start to join the fun around here. I just have to do some formal introduction for those who may have not heard of us. My name is Vincent Weis, a vampire and the lead vocalist of Jack of all Trades (our band) . We're simply a group composed of undead beings who loves metal music (other information is to be followed) and we have come to rock your world.

Love and Peace ~ ;)

--

January 7, 2014 at 7:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

Oh Vincent!!  *faints*

--

January 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.