Simatography 

and homebase of SIFF

Forums

Forum Home > Sims 3 Machinima Tips and Tricks > Camera Mod that Doesn't Interfere with the Lerp?

Dice Smith

EDIT BY MINRAED:

If you scroll down you will see Ballantyne's suggestion complete with photo walk through.

I had Aikea Guinea's no drift camera mod in game but I can't set the lerpduration with it. I tried setting the lerp first then putting the mod in game but it still didn't work. Is there another camera mod out there that doesn't interfere with the lerp? I liked that I could get really low, tight angles with it. :/

--

January 28, 2014 at 2:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

I had the same problem. What I did was open Aikea's file and I just copied across her settings to my own camera file :) (I was able to look inside the package just using a text program). Then I just made sure to delete her camera mod when I was done, so it wouldn't override stuff.

Worked for me. 

January 28, 2014 at 3:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

No worries Min, I've written a quick tutorial. Please note, this only affects settings in TAB mode, and I have don't have the Island Paradise EP, so I haven't tested it with that. 

1. Make a copy of your original VideoCamera.ini file and put it in a safe place (VERY IMPORTANT IN CASE YOU MESS SOMETHING UP). I put mine in a seperate folder somewhere.

Location of camera files:

PC:

64 bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini

32 bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini

Mac:

Applications ->The Sims 3 (right click on program and select "show package contents") -> Contents -> Resources -> transgaming -> c_drive -> Program files>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3>GameData>Shared>NonPackaged>Ini

2. Put Aikea's package on the desktop. Right-click and open with -> notepad. (On mac, it would be, open with -> textedit.)

3. Make another copy of the videocamera.ini file to the desktop (this is so you don't get "access denied" errors later (PC only, mac users don't need to do this). Right-click on this as well and go open with -> Notepad

4. Open them up side-by-side, then you can copy across Aikea's numbers to your videocamera.ini file. For safety, I just typed the numbers manually, but you can also copy-and-paste sections if you're careful (but don't just control+a the entire thing, as there are some funky symbols in the package file that you don't want).

5. Once you're done, save your VideoCamera.ini file. Then close Aikea's file without saving.

6. Then go back to where your videocama.ini file is in located in your program files, then drag-and-drop your edited videocama.ini file from the desktop into the "ini" folder. You'll probably get this message: (just click "replace in this destination").

You might also get this message. Just click "continue"

7. Run The Sims 3 and test out the camera (in tab mode). It should work. A quick way to test is to see if the camera can go all the way down to ground level.

If anything crazy happens, simply quit without saving. You can always replace the VideoCamera.ini file with your original backup.

8. If it's all good, you can then edit the Lerpduration however you please. (Or any other camera settings, if you're feeling brave!). Just always remember to have that original backup in case you make a mistake.

Hope this helps. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense. 

January 28, 2014 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

Thank you so much for taking the time for this. I'll have to try it soon. I'm going to retitle and move this to the machinima school tips thread.

--

January 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

No probs :) Let me know if there's any issues and I'll adjust the tutorial as needed. 

January 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dice Smith

OMG!!!! Thank you so much Ballantyne!<3 This went beyond helpful into the realm of perfection. :D You described it amazingly and it's working like magic now. Thank you sooo much!!!!!! :lol:

--

January 29, 2014 at 1:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

Yay! You're very welcome! So glad it worked well for you :D

January 29, 2014 at 3:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

Thank you Ballantyne. Can you tell me what changes the no drift makes?

I use Shimrod's so my smooth moves are, well, more smooth, but not sure if this will conflict or should I just use this. I"ve changed my lerp derp manually, too (Following to Nittens' tut), but I am still not satisfied with the smoothness.

--

January 29, 2014 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

It changes things such as camera distance to the ground, more precision in moving the camera etc. The lerp stays the same (2.0) but it can always be adjusted (I'm constantly changing the lerp depending on the type of shot I need, my two personal favorites are lerp 12 and lerp 20). 

The thing with the "drift" though... I am actually wondering if EA patched it at some point because I didn't notice it when using the original file (but I remember there was "drift" last year sometime) so that's a bit odd to me. Either way, it's not there now, lol. 

I've never tried Shimrod's camera mod, do you have a download link and I could test it out?

January 29, 2014 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.