Simatography 

and homebase of SIFF

Forums

Forum Home > Writing Challenges & Contests > A Picture is Worth 1000 Words

stephkline

A picture is worth 1000 words. We want you to prove it. Take the picture provided and write a short story based on the picture using as many or as few as the details in it as you want. You can base the story around your Sims or a completely new cast. The possibilities are endless. All we ask is that you share your story on the thread.

Periodically we will post a new picture as inspiration. There are no deadlines and you can join in any time.

June 24, 2014 at 1:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stephkline

The first inspiration photo. What sort of short story does this inspire?

June 24, 2014 at 4:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dice Smith

I LOVE this challenge idea!! I have so many ideas swirling around from this pic already... Hmm.. this is going to be very fun. :D

--

July 5, 2014 at 3:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stephkline

Dice Smith at July 5, 2014 at 3:45 AM

I LOVE this challenge idea!! I have so many ideas swirling around from this pic already... Hmm.. this is going to be very fun. :D

Yay so glad! Cant wait to hear what you come up with ! :D

--

xoxo Studio 54

July 6, 2014 at 1:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nicarra

Looks like an interesting challenge but - I might wait for a post to demonstrate how it's expected to be done. Pics of our Sims? Just the short story?

--

My Sims 3 blogs

World Adventures with the Grant Family
Hi Mum, It's Sammy
Sims 3 Short Stories
Adventures with Sims 3
Art Flows Through

July 6, 2014 at 3:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jorgha Haq
Administrator

For this one just a short story based on the picture :)

There are other spots in this section of the forum where you can share your stories or links to them...oh...and HI THERE!!! :) Happy to see you made it over here :)

--

http://www.simsweeklyworldnews.info
http://jorgha-haq.tumblr.com/

July 6, 2014 at 5:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nicarra

Jorgha Haq at July 6, 2014 at 5:53 AM

For this one just a short story based on the picture :)

There are other spots in this section of the forum where you can share your stories or links to them...oh...and HI THERE!!! :) Happy to see you made it over here :)

Hello, yes I did make it all the way over from Tumblr. Nice of you to invite me around. 

Now, to write that story.

--

My Sims 3 blogs

Hi Mum, It's Sammy
Sims 3 Short Stories
Adventures with Sims 3
Art Flows Through

July 6, 2014 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dice Smith

Okay so here is my short story based off of the picture. I apologize in advance if it's too long or depressing. Once I really get into writing it always turns kind of dark LOL! I'll work on that in the future. ;) Now for the story...

There is a haze of uncertainty that hangs formidably over me as I cautiously approach the bridge. To cross or not to cross? I contemplate as I stand here camouflaged amongst the brush, my gleaming gold eyes peering out from the shadows. As I strain to listen for the distant hum of an approaching motor I am met by silence. The only sound I hear is that of my mother’s voice ringing endlessly within the confines of my head.

“Your greatest enemy will be the cars that roam these streets at all hours of the day. Promise me that you will never cross them, no matter the reason.”

She wouldn’t allow my siblings or I to eat until, one by one, we promised her we’d steer clear of the intersecting death traps that lined and surrounded our small city. At the time we thought she was just being overprotective and groaned amongst ourselves about how unfair her rules were as we tore into the flesh of a young rabbit, it’s body still warm from the life that was once contained inside. It wasn’t until a few weeks later, when mama never returned home from her hunting trip that we truly understood the weight of what she had said.

And yet, here I stand. My body poised at the edge of the pavement as flashes of her listless eyes from the night I found her lying motionless in the road, unfold for the thousandth time before my eyes. I swallow the rising lump in my throat and remind myself that mama’s role is now my duty. My siblings are living ghosts, starving and unsure of how to take care of themselves because we lost our mother before she really had a chance to teach how to survive. The only piece of wisdom she had instilled in us I am about to defy.

With my head low and eyes transfixed ahead I scurry across the worn stone. My paws and whiskers work in unison, feeling for any vibrations which will warn me that impending danger looms. I make my way across the bridge in hopes to reach the lush forest that lays beyond it, rich with varmint to feed my hungry family. Can a broken promise be absolved if it is done to save lives?

Please forgive me mama. I am sorry.

--

July 7, 2014 at 1:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nicarra

“Oh god,” he thought to himself as he slowly came to. “What happened? Where am I?”

Sam briefly thought about getting up but decided he didn’t have the energy yet. He was on his back staring up at the night sky. He cautiously rolled his head from side to side.

“Why am I laying on a street? Or at least, it might be a street. It feels hard enough to be one. That does look like a curb next to me.” He paused in thought. “But it’s dark. Really dark. It must not be close to town, no lights.” He listened for a moment. “No cars, no music. How did I end up here?”

Sam took a few deep breaths then forced himself to sit up. His head throbbed from the change of blood flow forcing him to stop moving. He looked around again. “All right, I am on a street. No vehicle in sight, so I didn’t drive here. I don’t think I walked here either so … think Sam. What do you remember happening last?”

The previous evening, Sam had decided to have a couple of drinks at a pub he happened to be walking by. He’d only been in town a few days, following up the last few loose ends in a case he’d just finished. He sat on a stool at the bar, slowly nursing a beer.

“Hey there, buy a girl a drink?” Sam looked over to see a young blond woman, now perched on the stool next to his. She smiled brightly at him.

“What’s someone like you doing alone at a bar?” Sam could remember asking. “I’d think you’d have plenty of company.”

“My friends ditched me to watch a movie that I’d already seen. They promised they’d meet me here but it’s going to be ages yet.” She smiled again. “So, you buying?”

Sam shrugged. While he didn’t see any real advantage to buying a drink, at least he’d have someone to chat to. “Bartender, fetch the lady a…”

The bartender moved their direction. “What will you have tonight?”

“Dirty martini, please, Harry.”

“Sure thing, Sue. Be right up.” The bartender started mixing ingredients in a cocktail shaker.

“I take it your name is Sue?”

“Hi,” she stuck out her hand. “And you are?”

He took her hand. “I’m Sam.”

“You new around here? I’m sure I’d remember a face like yours.” The bartender slide her the drink and handed Sam the bill.

“Just passing through town on a bit of business. I should be done and gone sometime tomorrow.” He pulled out his wallet and tossed a couple of bills on the bar. “Another beer for me, thanks.”

“Then back home to the wife and family?”

“Home, yes, but I’ve yet to meet someone I’d like to marry. So back to my empty little house. How about you?”

“I live with my boyfriend.”

“He ditched you too?”

“Nah, he had to work late. So it was just me on my own. Boring!”

Sam in the street shivered. “It’s cold,” he thought to himself. With that thought, it finally occurred to him that all he was wearing was underwear. “Nice. They haunt the local bar, looking for people who live alone. I remember sipping on that next beer, chatting for another few minutes but not much more.” He slowly stood up. This time, his head didn’t throb from the movement. “That’s one improvement. Now, which way to go?” He looked one way and then the other along the deserted road. “I think there’s lights that way. I guess I’ll try it.”

He stood off into the night. “When I catch up with that girl and that bartender, they will regret this.”

July 7, 2014 at 1:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stephkline

Dice Smith at July 7, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Okay so here is my short story based off of the picture. I apologize in advance if it's too long or depressing. Once I really get into writing it always turns kind of dark LOL! I'll work on that in the future. ;) Now for the story...

There is a haze of uncertainty that hangs formidably over me as I cautiously approach the bridge. To cross or not to cross? I contemplate as I stand here camouflaged amongst the brush, my gleaming gold eyes peering out from the shadows. As I strain to listen for the distant hum of an approaching motor I am met by silence. The only sound I hear is that of my mother’s voice ringing endlessly within the confines of my head.

“Your greatest enemy will be the cars that roam these streets at all hours of the day. Promise me that you will never cross them, no matter the reason.”

She wouldn’t allow my siblings or I to eat until, one by one, we promised her we’d steer clear of the intersecting death traps that lined and surrounded our small city. At the time we thought she was just being overprotective and groaned amongst ourselves about how unfair her rules were as we tore into the flesh of a young rabbit, it’s body still warm from the life that was once contained inside. It wasn’t until a few weeks later, when mama never returned home from her hunting trip that we truly understood the weight of what she had said.

And yet, here I stand. My body poised at the edge of the pavement as flashes of her listless eyes from the night I found her lying motionless in the road, unfold for the thousandth time before my eyes. I swallow the rising lump in my throat and remind myself that mama’s role is now my duty. My siblings are living ghosts, starving and unsure of how to take care of themselves because we lost our mother before she really had a chance to teach how to survive. The only piece of wisdom she had instilled in us I am about to defy.

With my head low and eyes transfixed ahead I scurry across the worn stone. My paws and whiskers work in unison, feeling for any vibrations which will warn me that impending danger looms. I make my way across the bridge in hopes to reach the lush forest that lays beyond it, rich with varmint to feed my hungry family. Can a broken promise be absolved if it is done to save lives?

Please forgive me mama. I am sorry.

WOW this is really good! keep it up :D keep an eye out for this mounth pic! can wait to see what you come up with :D

--

xoxo Studio 54

July 9, 2014 at 3:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stephkline

nicarra at July 7, 2014 at 1:33 AM

“Oh god,” he thought to himself as he slowly came to. “What happened? Where am I?”

Sam briefly thought about getting up but decided he didn’t have the energy yet. He was on his back staring up at the night sky. He cautiously rolled his head from side to side.

“Why am I laying on a street? Or at least, it might be a street. It feels hard enough to be one. That does look like a curb next to me.” He paused in thought. “But it’s dark. Really dark. It must not be close to town, no lights.” He listened for a moment. “No cars, no music. How did I end up here?”

Sam took a few deep breaths then forced himself to sit up. His head throbbed from the change of blood flow forcing him to stop moving. He looked around again. “All right, I am on a street. No vehicle in sight, so I didn’t drive here. I don’t think I walked here either so … think Sam. What do you remember happening last?”

The previous evening, Sam had decided to have a couple of drinks at a pub he happened to be walking by. He’d only been in town a few days, following up the last few loose ends in a case he’d just finished. He sat on a stool at the bar, slowly nursing a beer.

“Hey there, buy a girl a drink?” Sam looked over to see a young blond woman, now perched on the stool next to his. She smiled brightly at him.

“What’s someone like you doing alone at a bar?” Sam could remember asking. “I’d think you’d have plenty of company.”

“My friends ditched me to watch a movie that I’d already seen. They promised they’d meet me here but it’s going to be ages yet.” She smiled again. “So, you buying?”

Sam shrugged. While he didn’t see any real advantage to buying a drink, at least he’d have someone to chat to. “Bartender, fetch the lady a…”

The bartender moved their direction. “What will you have tonight?”

“Dirty martini, please, Harry.”

“Sure thing, Sue. Be right up.” The bartender started mixing ingredients in a cocktail shaker.

“I take it your name is Sue?”

“Hi,” she stuck out her hand. “And you are?”

He took her hand. “I’m Sam.”

“You new around here? I’m sure I’d remember a face like yours.” The bartender slide her the drink and handed Sam the bill.

“Just passing through town on a bit of business. I should be done and gone sometime tomorrow.” He pulled out his wallet and tossed a couple of bills on the bar. “Another beer for me, thanks.”

“Then back home to the wife and family?”

“Home, yes, but I’ve yet to meet someone I’d like to marry. So back to my empty little house. How about you?”

“I live with my boyfriend.”

“He ditched you too?”

“Nah, he had to work late. So it was just me on my own. Boring!”

Sam in the street shivered. “It’s cold,” he thought to himself. With that thought, it finally occurred to him that all he was wearing was underwear. “Nice. They haunt the local bar, looking for people who live alone. I remember sipping on that next beer, chatting for another few minutes but not much more.” He slowly stood up. This time, his head didn’t throb from the movement. “That’s one improvement. Now, which way to go?” He looked one way and then the other along the deserted road. “I think there’s lights that way. I guess I’ll try it.”

He stood off into the night. “When I catch up with that girl and that bartender, they will regret this.”

OHHHH! this is cool i love it! :) the next pic will be coming soon make sure to keep a eye out i really like this :D

--

xoxo Studio 54

July 9, 2014 at 3:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nicarra

Thanks for the kind words, stephkline! It was an interesting picture, look forward to seeing the next one.

--

My Sims 3 blogs

Hi Mum, It's Sammy
Sims 3 Short Stories
Adventures with Sims 3
Art Flows Through

July 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stephkline

here is out next picture! :D cant wait to see what you guys come up with :D im excited to see 

--

xoxo Studio 54

July 10, 2014 at 2:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nicarra

“Sweetheart, is the blindfold really necessary?” Alice complained.

“I want you to be in the perfect spot to see the surprise. Now that we’re on the way, there will be no peeking,” replied Dave.

“All right. It better be good though,” Alice said. Her birthdays with Dave had never been boring, she could say that. One year, the trip to see a concert with one of her favourite groups. The next, an African safari, a real one. So what might Dave be taking her to this year?

Fifteen minutes later and Alice was bored. “Dave! If you are just going to drive in circles around town, can we go home?”

“You’re right. I have been doing a few circles so you won’t know where we are. Do you?” he asked with a chuckle.

Alice shook her head then realised, “I didn’t think so but we must be near the beach. I smell the water.”

“Damn, I forgot about that. May as well park then, no need to drive the circle another few times.” Alice could feel the car slowing as Dave searched for a parking spot.

“Now you wait until I open your door,” he said.

Alice listened while he opened and closed his door, then walked around the car to open hers. “Undo your seat belt then give me your hand.”

“Are you sure I can’t just take this off?” she asked again.

“We are almost there. Just humour me a little longer,” he replied.

Dave carefully led Alice out of the car and down onto the beach. “It’s time, you ready?”

“Definitely!” Alice exclaimed.

He pulled off the blindfold to reveal that they were standing near a hot air balloon. A ribbon was draped along the front which said “Happy birthday.”

The balloon was already inflated and had a few people around it and one man already in the large basket.

“Dave and Alice?” he asked.

“Yes.”

“You are right on time. Everything is ready, we are just waiting for you.”

The ground crew helped them into the large basket. “Welcome aboard. My name is Andre, I’m the pilot of this balloon. For the next couple of hours, we’ll be up in the skies. Ready?”

“Did the hamper arrive?”

“Indeed it did, Dave. You’ll find it right over there. May I suggest if you brought sparkling wine, open it now. We don’t need it to go off as the pressure changes.”

Dave grinned and rummaged in the hamper. He pulled out two plastic champaign flutes which he handed to Alice. “Hold these for just a tick.” He found the bottle of wine and very carefully opened it. He poured the wine, carefully replaced the bottle then took one glass from Alice.

“Well, happy birthday, sweetheart. What do you think?”

Alice sipped her wine. “I think…” she paused. “That you are going to have to work a miracle to beat this one. Thank you.” They shared a kiss as the balloon slowly lifted skyward for their adventure.

July 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stephkline

nicarra at July 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM

“Sweetheart, is the blindfold really necessary?” Alice complained.

“I want you to be in the perfect spot to see the surprise. Now that we’re on the way, there will be no peeking,” replied Dave.

“All right. It better be good though,” Alice said. Her birthdays with Dave had never been boring, she could say that. One year, the trip to see a concert with one of her favourite groups. The next, an African safari, a real one. So what might Dave be taking her to this year?

Fifteen minutes later and Alice was bored. “Dave! If you are just going to drive in circles around town, can we go home?”

“You’re right. I have been doing a few circles so you won’t know where we are. Do you?” he asked with a chuckle.

Alice shook her head then realised, “I didn’t think so but we must be near the beach. I smell the water.”

“Damn, I forgot about that. May as well park then, no need to drive the circle another few times.” Alice could feel the car slowing as Dave searched for a parking spot.

“Now you wait until I open your door,” he said.

Alice listened while he opened and closed his door, then walked around the car to open hers. “Undo your seat belt then give me your hand.”

“Are you sure I can’t just take this off?” she asked again.

“We are almost there. Just humour me a little longer,” he replied.

Dave carefully led Alice out of the car and down onto the beach. “It’s time, you ready?”

“Definitely!” Alice exclaimed.

He pulled off the blindfold to reveal that they were standing near a hot air balloon. A ribbon was draped along the front which said “Happy birthday.”

The balloon was already inflated and had a few people around it and one man already in the large basket.

“Dave and Alice?” he asked.

“Yes.”

“You are right on time. Everything is ready, we are just waiting for you.”

The ground crew helped them into the large basket. “Welcome aboard. My name is Andre, I’m the pilot of this balloon. For the next couple of hours, we’ll be up in the skies. Ready?”

“Did the hamper arrive?”

“Indeed it did, Dave. You’ll find it right over there. May I suggest if you brought sparkling wine, open it now. We don’t need it to go off as the pressure changes.”

Dave grinned and rummaged in the hamper. He pulled out two plastic champaign flutes which he handed to Alice. “Hold these for just a tick.” He found the bottle of wine and very carefully opened it. He poured the wine, carefully replaced the bottle then took one glass from Alice.

“Well, happy birthday, sweetheart. What do you think?”

Alice sipped her wine. “I think…” she paused. “That you are going to have to work a miracle to beat this one. Thank you.” They shared a kiss as the balloon slowly lifted skyward for their adventure.

OHHHH i really like this!! :D nice job!! this is reallt intersting :D:D:D:D:D

--

xoxo Studio 54

July 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stephkline

New Picture Coming Soon!!!! Can't wait to see what you all come up with this time around!

--

xoxo Studio 54

August 10, 2014 at 6:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stephkline

Here is our next image! Can not wait to see what you guys come up with! I can see some spooky stuff happening here maybe at night or even day! go crazy can not wait!!!!

--

xoxo Studio 54

August 12, 2014 at 2:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Me

Here is my failed attempt, haha! I may sorta be failing English... Yeah.. :( Sad Aussie. But, GAH! This is horrid, bleh, whatever, I'm done insulting myself now.

"Beautiful!" The word escaped out of my mouth, nothing more than a soft whisper.

I hadn't been here in years, not since the tragedy that left a heavy burden on my shoulders. Night after night I would have horrible dreams of the incident that had ended the life of someone who deserved so much more.

She was so young and vibrant, I never thought I would live longer then her. There was more going for her then there was for me. She was talented, pretty and popular. But she was more than the average high school ‘popular’, she was also smart, compassionate and considerate. Ever since she could talk she had shown the signs of a true hero. If one of the other children scraped their knee, nothing would stop her from finding one of her special little Barbie Band-Aids and tending to them.

Something warm slid down my cheek and stopped at the corner of my mouth. It was a tear. I took a deep breath and stepped closer to the looming shadows, cast from the steeple above me. Every step I took felt like I was being stabbed through the heart, over and over. It took all of my will power not to break down right then and there.

I thought this would be easier, I thought that maybe it would help to have a bit of closure. But so far, it was doing nothing to ease the pain.

The doors were right in front of me now. I reached my arm out to trace the delicate patterns with my fingertips, but as I did so a painful memory from that night came back to me.

Heat everywhere, and a searing pain. The light was blinding. Out of every emotion that could have felt in those few short minutes, agony, fear, desperation, I felt worry. Not for my own sake, but for hers. She was here too, and she was in danger.

I had come late in the afternoon to move out some of the old chairs, when I saw her and her friends holding a fake sacrificial ceremony with an old stuffed toy lamb. I knew they were just having a bit of twisted fun, but I was still angry at her for sneaking out after she had been grounded. I told her friends to go home. Once they left we got into an argument. She went to storm out and as I went after her I knock over a candle. Everything happened so quickly then.

The floor boards caught on fire due to the cheap varnish that had been covering them. A thick layer of dark smoke wafted up around us, making me stumble around in my attempts to get her free from deaths grip. After that, everything was a haze.

But what I do know from that night was that the wrong person died. It was supposed to be me, not my daughter.

--

August 12, 2014 at 6:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stephkline

Aussie Me at August 12, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Here is my failed attempt, haha! I may sorta be failing English... Yeah.. :( Sad Aussie. But, GAH! This is horrid, bleh, whatever, I'm done insulting myself now.

"Beautiful!" The word escaped out of my mouth, nothing more than a soft whisper.

I hadn't been here in years, not since the tragedy that left a heavy burden on my shoulders. Night after night I would have horrible dreams of the incident that had ended the life of someone who deserved so much more.

She was so young and vibrant, I never thought I would live longer then her. There was more going for her then there was for me. She was talented, pretty and popular. But she was more than the average high school ‘popular’, she was also smart, compassionate and considerate. Ever since she could talk she had shown the signs of a true hero. If one of the other children scraped their knee, nothing would stop her from finding one of her special little Barbie Band-Aids and tending to them.

Something warm slid down my cheek and stopped at the corner of my mouth. It was a tear. I took a deep breath and stepped closer to the looming shadows, cast from the steeple above me. Every step I took felt like I was being stabbed through the heart, over and over. It took all of my will power not to break down right then and there.

I thought this would be easier, I thought that maybe it would help to have a bit of closure. But so far, it was doing nothing to ease the pain.

The doors were right in front of me now. I reached my arm out to trace the delicate patterns with my fingertips, but as I did so a painful memory from that night came back to me.

Heat everywhere, and a searing pain. The light was blinding. Out of every emotion that could have felt in those few short minutes, agony, fear, desperation, I felt worry. Not for my own sake, but for hers. She was here too, and she was in danger.

I had come late in the afternoon to move out some of the old chairs, when I saw her and her friends holding a fake sacrificial ceremony with an old stuffed toy lamb. I knew they were just having a bit of twisted fun, but I was still angry at her for sneaking out after she had been grounded. I told her friends to go home. Once they left we got into an argument. She went to storm out and as I went after her I knock over a candle. Everything happened so quickly then.

The floor boards caught on fire due to the cheap varnish that had been covering them. A thick layer of dark smoke wafted up around us, making me stumble around in my attempts to get her free from deaths grip. After that, everything was a haze.

But what I do know from that night was that the wrong person died. It was supposed to be me, not my daughter.

OMG i love this you had a really great feeling going on here! dont give up! had a full and strong feel behind it! LOVE LOVE IT! 

--

xoxo Studio 54

August 20, 2014 at 2:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nicarra

I missed this pic. Will think about it.

--

My Sims 3 blogs

Hi Mum, It's Sammy
Sims 3 Short Stories
Adventures with Sims 3
Art Flows Through

August 23, 2014 at 7:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.