Simatography 

and homebase of SIFF

Forums

Forum Home > Monthly Theme Challenge for Everyone > Getting Into Character - NOW CLOSED

Minraed
Site Owner

Join us for this month's theme challenge!

Each month brings a new challenge and everyone can join in. We will use your contributions to the challenge in our next monthly Simatography magazine that will be released mid January

About the theme - Getting Into Character

Whether it is a machinima, a photoshoot, creating a new Sim personality or creating a story, developing a good strong character is an important part of the process. We want to use this issue to explore the diffent things that people do to get their sims and themselves into character. Think costumes, themes, makeup. Where do you get your inspiration? There are many ways that you can join in with us. 

What can you contribute?

• advertisements related to the theme (ads for sims cc, makeup, costumes, etc - yours or someone else's that you use for inspriation for your characters)
  • machinima showing off your Sims characters (HERE is a great example of using the Goth characters from the Sims games)
  • stories - example - Tears of a Clown HERE
  • photography
  • custom content - objects or clothing
  • a build or lot
  • poses or animations
  • tips and tutorials - tips on how creating, researching, developing characters
  • anything else you can think of

Who should join?

EVERYONE - we really want to see Sims 2, 3 and 4 here if possible so go wild!

How do you join?

Just do your creative thing then share it with us here in this thread. If you are adding any images such as ads or photography then be sure to post them in the gallery HERE. Otherwise, just link us to your creation.

We also encourage that you create an advertisement for your cc, lot or other thing where an ad would be helpful to promote yourself, but it is not necessary. Advertisements can go HERE

DEADLINE - January 15th 

MORE IDEAS AND INSPIRATIONS

Further explanation...

What is in a character? Really you could enter anything that fits your interpretation on that idea.

For example, a few photos to show a day in the life of your main Sim character, who is he/she behind the scenes, what else makes up their character?

Or, how do we create different character types, or what character types are there out there - the mean girls at school, the emo guy, the villian, the doting mother, the private investigator, the dangerous dame, etc... What type of characters make good stories?

Your Sims Playing Dress-up 

See below, in the second post by Jorgha, or even the various pics of Minraed in the banner above. This is another great idea for this. Take your usual character and see what they would look like if they were put into various alternative character styles. 

Join us in introducing and showcasing your favourite characters. 

--

December 21, 2014 at 5:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TenderWolf

I may have some ideas to submit later on. This sounds like it's right up my alley! In the meantime, here are some character shots. I submitted them for Winter Traditions but I think they match this theme better. Now, to Tumblr!

--

Click the picture to check out my Simblr! 8)

December 26, 2014 at 6:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jorgha Haq
Administrator

Anyone on tumblr might have seen this meme go around once or twice. It's a style meme where you depict your sim in different ways than what you normally see them. It fits perfectly with Getting into Character.

I give you Newt and Siren:

The before picture because....it's a before picture

The "berry" version

As aliens:

"Vanilla" versions 

--

http://www.simsweeklyworldnews.info
http://jorgha-haq.tumblr.com/

December 27, 2014 at 7:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

sweet, ya that was a great thing you did there Jorga, I forgot about that. FUN!

--

December 27, 2014 at 7:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

I have added this above into the info post at the beginning. I would love to see some of your characters showcased this way. 

--

December 27, 2014 at 7:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jorgha Haq
Administrator

A collage of 16 different things done with my self-sim over the last two years or so, most done for an ongoing avatar challenge called "Changing Face" where a prompt was given and you had to make up your self sim accordingly. 

--

http://www.simsweeklyworldnews.info
http://jorgha-haq.tumblr.com/

December 27, 2014 at 7:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

LOVE, yay! I hope these will inspire people. 

--

December 27, 2014 at 8:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Astraea Nevermore

OMG, I think I'm in love with this theme <3 currently trying to decide which of my characters I could use... so many to choose from, aaaargh ;___________;

--

December 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

I would love to feature one of your main characters in our single page features for sure, otherwise, you have great characters so yes, do share some various things. 

We will be looking at this from many angles for the magazine - creating backstory, getting into character for voice acting, roleplaying, and much more. This should be fun. 

--

December 29, 2014 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninisims

Would a modeling comp count, where you change the model to suit the theme each week? Kind of like Jorgha's but not my self-sim.  I also started a new story on tumblr with a new sim.......just throwing ideas out.  Haven't been very active here and I also need something to keep me engaged ;) 

December 29, 2014 at 12:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

Yes Nini, even though we don't do modelling here, I remember from my own times doing the modelling challenge, that it is really more than modelling but it is also about building a story behind that model as they work through their assignments. Good idea. I actually also have a good example of that. Let's see what you've got. 

I also added a bit more of an explanation above in the first post in the inspirations section. I will post more examples here later this week as I get the magazine started and come up with more ideas. 

--

December 30, 2014 at 6:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninisims

Okay then! 

Well, I did a modeling comp--Fairy Fae--and used a sim model I had been writing a story about.  So, some character evolutions for him following his "before" look! (sorry for the long post with huge pics, thought there was a spoiler tag but there isn't)

December 31, 2014 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

awesome, thanks for sharing those Nini. I also will have a section to showcase edited art so these will definitely fit in somewhere. 

--

December 31, 2014 at 4:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Astraea Nevermore

He's looking great, Ninisims! :D I love those edited pictures *______________* (and his "before" look as well, gotta love long haired guys <3 )

I *still* have to take any picture for the theme D: buuuuuuuut... I have a little something for you anyway! ^____^ Since it says that we can add our own tips and tutorials on how to create characters... I decided to make a little list about the steps I usually follow! :D

Character creation: some tips
Creating a new character can be extremely fun and exciting. However, it also requires a lot of work and it's not unlikely to get frustrated or even stuck in a process. This is a list of tips and stuff that I usually do whenever I try to get "into character". Hope that may help some of you as well!

Everything starts from an idea: it may be a trait you want your character to have, something that happened in the past that somehow shaped them, something inspired from a myth/a legend, a dream, anything. As soon as you find the inspiration...

Write everything down: don't worry about having your ideas written in proper language or following a logical order or whatever. Some ideas might look stupid while you write them down, but, as you go further, you'll realise that some of them can be combined to create something that makes more sense. Or they may turn into a good starting point for a completely different idea. You never know!

Research, research, research: so, you have this great idea for a character, but you're unsure about some things. Maybe they're from a different culture, or have a different sexual orientation. Maybe they use a particular weapon or are from a different time. The answer is always the same: RESEARCH! It doesn't only help you make a more believable character (and avoid lots of issues in case you plan to make your story available to the public), it can also be great fun. Start from Wikipedia, take a look at sites that are specifically about the subject you're researching, buy books, watch movies and documentaries, search online forums, get in contact with real people that can help you. You'll soon find out that the research enriched not only your character, but also yourself. After all, discovering new things is always useful, isn't it?

Character bio: what was your character's childhood like? What about his family? Any friends? Any event that influenced his current behaviors or way of thinking? Even if you may not actually need the whole story of your character for your project, knowing their past can help you flesh things out better and give 'em life.

Character memes: yes, you read it right. You know those character memes that can be found online? Style memes (as already suggested by jorgha-haq), in-depth memes, common behaviors memes. Even those "100 things to do in your life" and "annoying questions" type of surveys that aren't specifically aimed to character creation may help: they usually include lots of questions that can help you think about what your character could do in a certain situation. How would they answer to that particular question? What are their fears? Many of these surveys offer a wide range of weird, uncommon and sometimes tricky questions that can help you set even the smallest details about your character.

--

December 31, 2014 at 7:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

Really great tips!

--

December 31, 2014 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninisims

Thanks Minraed and Astraea! He is definitely one of my fave male sims and I love the long haired ones, too :) 

Astraea, those are great tips I will put to use!

I also found some great tips on Noelyely's tumblr about OC prompts, which can really help define your character--along the same lines as Astraea's "annoying questions" surveys.  Short sentence descriptions of character traits that can help you (and others) get an idea of who your character is and what they are about.

December 31, 2014 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Misty4m

Kimbre started off as a model sim but I got bored after a while with just taking model shots of her and I wanted to do something more fun, so I found this great graphic artist Andrei Oprinca tutorial on youtube. He is very creative and showing you how to do photo manipulation.

Dramatic Lighting - Manipulation Tutorial (PSD Box)

http://youtu.be/q5fmqTzd1Gc

I follow his tutorial to give my photo great effects and changing it around, it came out perfect. Normally for me I research on a ideal for 3 days because I want it to be perfect.

Before :

Tools:

After everything have been added to the photo.

This Character of her is she ready to handle business, no special name for her but I wanted her to look like that kind of women that show no fear and great in martial arts.

--

January 1, 2015 at 1:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninisims

Misty, that is amazing! I may have to check out that tutorial :)

January 1, 2015 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Misty4m

Thank Ninisims :)

--

January 2, 2015 at 12:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moon Entertainment

A couple of fantasy shots I thought I'd contribute. 
--

January 2, 2015 at 3:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.