Simatography 

and homebase of SIFF

Forums

Forum Home > Sims 3 Machinima Tips and Tricks > Royalty Free Music

SSProductions

Using music in your videos is subject to copyright restrictions, so it's advisable to use Royalty Free music whenever  possible, unless permission from the copyright holder has been granted. Here is a list of Royalty free music that is free to use non-commercially:

Freeplay - vast selection of music from most genres.

PacDV - sound FX library.

Incompetech - another good site with a good range of music by composer, K Macleod.

Newgrounds - more audio for your videos by a variety of composers.

--

Photobucket

March 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

Thanks for sharing those links with us, SS.  I was sharing my own links with Smiler3 the other day, I should have thought to post it here for everyone as well.  I have found quite a few useable musics on Newgrounds and love that site. 

Also try these Creative Commons sites.  Note that you can download most music and sounds for free for non-commercial use, but you will need to give credit or link or both back to the site or author of the audio.  Hope these are helpful and have fun!

EDIT: Condensing all links to top two posts here so it's easier to find

Jamendo.com - QUALITY selection from lesser known bands and musicians willing to share their music

CCmixter.org -  Great site with a variety of remixes from user made clips (check the 'dig' site for downloads)

Flashkit.com - sound effects and sound loops

Freesfx.co.uk - small selection of sounds and music scores (registration needed)

Machinimasound.com - added by RenderMeNow

PartnersInRhyme.com - (hit the free sections for royalty free stuff) added by RenderMeNow

FreeMusicArchive.org - AWESOME AWESOME collection of cool musics (added by Sylentwhysper)

JoshWoodward.com - All music created by solo artist, Josh Woodward.  Currently sharing about 170 songs.  (added by Sylent) 

Opensourcemusic.com - A team of bloggers collecting (with permission) and archiving music tracks from artists around the web and sharing it.  Nice little site and project going on here.  Hit up the Archive area for downloads.  (added by Sylent)

OpSound.org - added by Sylent

March 14, 2010 at 3:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SSProductions

Awesome Sylentwhysper. Thanks for adding these links. I'm always on a quest for more Royalty Free music so this is excellent :)

--

Photobucket

March 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

No prob, SS.  I've torn the web apart for good music because I believe it's essential to making a good movie.  So yeah, I have long list.  LOL.

March 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rendermenow

Awesome!  Thanks so much for this! These are some great resources!

Since we're sharing, here are a few of mine that I frequently browse through.

They have some great ones at this site (be sure to credit them if you use any of them)...

http://www.machinimasound.com/

This one below, be sure to navigate to the 'free' sections of "Free sound effects", "Free Music Loops", etc., instead of the CD section (those are royalty free but will cost you money).

http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/

--

My Youtube Channel

March 14, 2010 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

Thanks, Rendermenow.  Machinimasound.com has some really nice scores.  I didn't know about that one before.  This is awesome!  :)

March 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rendermenow

You're quite welcome, sylentwhysper.  Be sure to visit them every so often, maybe once a week or so, because they update it often and take some of the older ones off sometimes too.  I have a running collection, lol... just wish I could have used one of them by now.  :)

--

My Youtube Channel

March 14, 2010 at 4:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SSProductions

This is indeed awesome. Thanks Rendermenow :) I didn't know about Machinimasound either. It's so cool that were are sharing resources as it can take time to find reliable sites with good sources of free music to use.

--

Photobucket

March 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rendermenow

You're welcome, SS!  And Yes!  So true!  I've been meaning to thank minraed for this place because I have found myself on this site at least a dozen times per day checking out the latest news, checking on resources, and just being able to read and discuss all these topics is absolutely priceless to me!  She has done such a fantastic job of bringing this community together!  (Thank You Minraed!!!)  :)

--

My Youtube Channel

March 14, 2010 at 5:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SSProductions

I agree, this site was a truly awesome idea and as been invaluable resource, and of course a great, fun community. Sharing resources, tutorials, brainstorming, showcasing work, reading news, discussions, learning new stuff, meeting like-minded people is fun indeed. :) I certainly applaud Minraed for all the hard work setting up this site.

--

Photobucket

March 14, 2010 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

Hi Everyone, this an old thread that I feel is very useful, so I've updated and added to it.  I've started condensing all the links to the top two posts for easier finding.  Today, I've added two links.

FreeMusicArchive.org  and JoshWoodward.com

Please consider that SIFF is coming and every season there are movies that are blocked due to people using Copyrighted music.  These free sites that we share here can help keep your movie viewable by everyone.  We can't guarantee that your video won't be blocked with these free songs but it will have a better chance of not being flagged.

NOTE:  If you have any music sites you would like to add, please feel free to post here and I will add it to the top posts.  Remember that 'Royalty Free' and 'Creative Commons' are slightly different.  Some Royalty Free sites will ask you pay an initial fee for the song download and then you can use it however you want after that.  Creative Commons most always offer the music for free from the beginning and for personal / non-commercial use.  We are looking for quality FREE downloads.

--

December 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ausagi

Wow thank you for this! I didn't know there were sites like this. :o

--

December 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

Your welcome Ausagi.  I didn't know about free music either until I started making machinima, now I prefer to use Free Music and even prefer listening to them.  Hope all the links will help.

Add two more links, OpenSourceMusic.com and OpSound.org

--

December 26, 2011 at 1:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nittens

The best part about machinimasound.com is that under the creative commons license the music is availible for commercial use too. I got excited when I saw this because music with commercial licenses are hard to find!

--

My twitter, yo!

December 26, 2011 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nanami

wow!! awesome!! :D going to go get them!

--

December 26, 2011 at 2:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chazz (Ipodtouchgirl21)

Thanks for the links! They are SUPER helpful! :D

--
April 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

Can we use music from the Sims?

April 26, 2012 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.