Simatography 

and homebase of SIFF

Forums

Forum Home > Sims 3 Machinima Tips and Tricks > FPS limiter.. okay for videos?

CloudwalkerSims

Someone has suggested using an FPS limiter, but I'm concerned about how it would affect capturing videos.

anyone know?

--

September 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gus Rockman
Administrator

Hmm... I never heard of this. I'd like to know how it works. :)

--

September 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

well, i put on my crash test dummy suit and installed it.

Verdict so far:

according to FRAPS, i am now not going over 30 fps, which will keep me from killing my video card (it used to get over 300 at times)

Animations are MUCH MUCH smoother

the transitions between sims and interactions seem faster

Fraps video recording reflects the new, smooth animations.

In game video has been having issues since 1.38 so no idea, It seems to slow down when hitting V, so I just went to fraps.

--

September 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gus Rockman
Administrator

Ohh! I'll try it out! Thanks for the info. :)

--

September 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

there are two different ones.

one will auto-keep you at 30 fps, but in full screen I use 60 refresh rate (you should keep them the same), so I am using the full version. I believe the files are over at Maty's

--

September 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Green_Girly100

I have the opposite problem, and can't get a FPS over 30 and in game filming drops it as low as 10, but it is all over the place. Any ideas for a noob?

--

September 25, 2012 at 7:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

sounds like that's a good problem to have. Preventing high FPS, because EA didn't put a limiter on it themselves, will stop your video card from dying. (overheating as mine did)

If you don't have a limiter, have you left a slowmotionviz on? But really, unless my sims are doing something major (such as my going into CAS, it rarely makes it to 30 now)

--

September 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Green_Girly100

thanks for that... I will def check slowmotionviz! its not so great, its jumpy and choppy :( but more experimenting today to try to fix!I hope your card is safe and soun now :)

--

September 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

ya, no the old computer overheated and fried the vid card, so the new computer is getting kid gloves. :)

--

September 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lyramiamovies

Thanks a lot for bringing the topic up!!!

Otherwise I wouldn't have done some research on it and probably my expensive graphic card would have been roasted in the near future as my FPS were sometimes at a cosmic high rate (1000!!!!)  - especially when using the CAW. I can't believe how much luck I had that it's still alive and well working...

Well, as I stumbled upon some interesting facts during my research I thought I should share this with you guys.

I can't gurantee for the correctness of the following first info, but I've read in one of the German forums in a post by a person who says to be a IT professional that he or she tested the FPS limiter and found out that graphic cards using directx11 can (not will) suffer desevere damage because of (as far as I understood) a change in the system of directX 11 which now leads to a troublesome loop - just as a very very brief summary. If you use DirectX 9 or 10 it is said to be absolutely fine. (for those whop might be interested in the german full post it's this one:

http://www.simforum.de/showthread.php?t=184232)

Since my graphic card does use directX 11 I got a little afraid and kept looking for another possibility. As I said I don't know if that info really is true. But just in case I thought maybe some of you might want to know this.

Keeping on digging I found another method for me to limit the FPS for ALL my programs and games without the sims FPS limiter. Unfortunately this method will only work for NVIDIA. Shortly said I simply installed the nvidia inspector and unlocked a hidden feature which allows you to limit the FPS directly in the graphic card settings.

I found this info via an german article and after searching more info about the nvidia installer I found this post:

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=47061

That's what I did and what worked for me.

So far everythings great.  The FPS stay constantly below 60 and my graphic card is no longer heating up that much when I play sims3.

Concerning filming I can't say anything yet, but my gameplay became a little more fluid since I changed it.

I don't know in how far this might be useful to anybody, but hopefully it is. In any case if I hadn't found that nvidia possibility I would have rather risked the "might" get roasted with the limiter than a "definitely" get roasted if I kept playing with  1000 FPS... Just my opinion. I'd recommend to check out your FPS and temperature of your graphic card if you haven't yet. Just in case.

--

lyramia.blogspot.co.uk         twitter.com/lyramiamovies     youtube.com/user/lyramiamovies

September 26, 2012 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gus Rockman
Administrator

Wow thats very helpful! Idk if my graphics card supports DirectX 11, I should research that. I'd kill myself if it roasted as I'd have to throw my laptop to the trash in that case. u_u

Unfortunately it's an ATI graphics card, so your method won't apply. :/

--

September 26, 2012 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

I know mine is on DirectX11, but I'm having trouble understanding the posts.

I just googled around and can't find anything about it hurting it. I might contact Nvidia directly. I noticed using the limiter at 60 has really helped (as long as the refresh is also at 60)

Thank so much. I'll be reading for sure.

--

September 27, 2012 at 2:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

I contacted Nvidia and Asus (my computer maker) No word from Nvidia, Asus is also stumped as to this loop, but if I don't want to limit everything, I should only use for Sims they said.

using the Limiter I have, I set at 60 fps and the Sims runs much much much smoother now.

I don't know what the devil to do. I just want to make sure the card lives a long and healthy life.

--

September 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.