Simatography 

and homebase of SIFF

Forums

Forum Home > Sims 3 Machinima Tips and Tricks > Green Screen Tutorial

ChristieL.

I realized a while ago that there wasn't a real tutorial about creating a proper green screen. So I made one, to help you out. :)

We all know how important green screening is: just think about the endless possibilities it gives you.  From custom backgrounds, floating objects and sort of.

The sims 2 had the possibility of getting a whole green room in which you could create everything. But, what about the sims 3? 

Here comes my help: I'll teach you how to build a green room with a small list of simple contents.

STEP 1: build mode.

Pressing F3 during gameplay allows you to enter into the "Build mode": here you can create easily a square room in which we're going to test our green screen. Type: "testingcheatsenabled true" and "buydebug" (it'll be useful later). I took a shot of my set, it only has ceiling and floor. xD

Step 2: The right pattern.

This is very important for your machinimas (I must say it's fundamental). The build mode gives you two approximative type of green wall, one brighter than the other. 

If you try to apply the chroma key to this wall, you'll have this result (even setting the pure green screen effect):

(you can clearly see the pattern of the wall).

How to get rid of it?

In "Build Mode" press R. You're now on the "Create a style Mode" - you can customize your wall- click on it and a menu will appear.

Click on "Other" and select a plain white for your wall

Play around with your colors until you get a very bright green.

drag your tint on the other part of the wall and - TADA - you have your green wall! :)

(You can easily do it to the floor too, in order to get your green room)!

Follow the same procedure and you'll have this:

Step 3: Lights.

A very important thing in this case (in order to get rid of the green properly during the editing) is considering the enlightement of your room. Ceiling light are very useful in this case: they create a light cone big enough to surround your sims, altough you might need more than one to have an easy green that might be deleted. The picture down here has one ceiling light; you can see the darker parts of the room.

That's why we need soft light from the buydebug! 

I personally recommend at this point the ceiling 4x1 or 2x2, they're wider and cover a bigger area of the room. (You can also use 3x1 if you have a smaller room).

Down here a 4x1:

and here a 2x2:

The biggest soft light you can get is a 4x4; this one creates a bigger light cylinder useful for animations.

Hope this has helped you! 

Any feed is welcome :D

- ChristieL.

--

January 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gus Rockman
Administrator

I use the totally plain wall and set the colour to absolute green (although I heard blue works better sometimes). I then save it as a preset and now I have my custom greenscreen everytime I need it. :P

Very nice tutorial, Christie! This will save a lot of people! :)

--

January 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ChristieL.

I've never heard about saving it, gus. You surprise me :P

Thanks anyway :)

--

January 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SSProductions

Awesome tutorial Christie :) I'm sure I did one for one of the magazines but maybe I imagined it  :lol: Another tip is to leave part of a wall unbuilt opposite to where you will position your sim.I do this and just use natural light.  This can make the greenscreened footage a lot clearer when you chroma key it in Vegas/After Effects.

--

Photobucket

January 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ChristieL.

Thanks SS ^^ Great tip, but how about the time? I close the room to avoid switching time :)

--

January 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ronson_14

But then, how I make the effect of people? You know, for the manifestation...

February 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SeeMyu

Ronson, you'd probably have to use the chroma keyer in your video editor, then add in a effect or video of people as the background in a different video track. Depending on your video editor, there are different tutorials on how to accomplish this on YouTube. :) 

--

February 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

Thanks for this! :D

April 13, 2013 at 6:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sims Dreamer

Hi all. Good tips in this thread. I have a tip about freezing time for natural light...Twallan's NRass Relativity Mod can pause time-of-day. Download page is here http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Relativity

If you set the Interval option to a negative number, time-of-day stops. This does not affect Sims or object interactions...well, mostly. I have found that cars Sim get into after setting t-o-d negative will not move, and teleporting takes a long time. A few other things I can't think of are also affected, but mostly everything runs as normal. Also, all shadows will move slightly back and forth (cycling through the position change they'd normally have in one Sim-minute).

FYI, interval set to zero makes time run normally, and positive numbers slow it down by different amounts (I don't know if any number will speed up time). Also, you must click on the town hall or a computer to access Relativity.

Anyway, stopping time passage this way will hold natural light and shadows where you want them, indefinitely. This is great for doing a machinima scene that is long or requires several takes to get right, as you can lock natural light and shadows from changing.

Soon I am going to take green-screen footage of a Sim that needs to appear outside in daylight, with some shadows, in a machinima project. I'm hoping that the buydebug invisible lights, making the green wall shadow-free, can be combined with the natural light tip SS mentioned, and the Sim still look right. I'll let you know if this is successful. Thank you.

December 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

I use murano's backdrop set to pure green.

Relativity messes up teleportation so I stopped using it. I wish I could have both because I overuse teleportation. ;)

--

December 12, 2013 at 3:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

Does anyone have problems with blonde hair? I've done a few green-screen tests on sims with both brown, black and red hair (and they look fine) but blonde hair goes a bit transparent when I chroma-key it. :(

January 31, 2014 at 4:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ChristieL.

Ballantyne at January 31, 2014 at 4:52 AM

Does anyone have problems with blonde hair? I've done a few green-screen tests on sims with both brown, black and red hair (and they look fine) but blonde hair goes a bit transparent when I chroma-key it. :(

Yeah the light blonde sometimes tends to look similar to green. In that case, adjust the low and high on vegas. Set the low between 600-700 and the high between 900-800

--

January 31, 2014 at 5:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

Oh thank-you for the tip, Christie! I don't have Vegas, but I found a setting in iMovie where I could decrease the "green gain" and that fixed it! :D Phew! lol.

January 31, 2014 at 5:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.