Simatography 

and homebase of SIFF

Forums

Forum Home > How Goes the Project? > How do you handle all your clips?

CloudwalkerSims

I'm about 3/4s finished and so far, my non-rendered clips are up to 700 gigs.

I try to preview and dump anything that's not good, and I use FRAPS so the file sizes are smaller.

I hesitate to use an external because I lost a whole movie that way once. But this is making me nervous!

What do you all do?

--

August 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

I think I have a lot of storage space so I've never considered this, or had to really. I do have two external drives though, each with a copy of my photography which I am paranoid about backing up. I have "computer backup" on my to do list always, but never get to it. Now I'm rethinking it again.

I wonder if the solution could be to use an external for all of the outtakes, the stuff that you just can't bear to delete yet then it would be out of your way, not taking up valuable space, but yet would be there if needed and perhaps not disasterous if lost.

--

August 29, 2013 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

Gosh, I deleted all the outtakes already. (I do that after filming every scene) I have a 1.5 tb hd, but with meshing and filming, it's full to the brim.

I might get another external and have a mirror of stuff I move out. So, perhaps that might give me sense of security. I have had TWO external hard drives die.

So, ya. scary.

--

August 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stiles Mcgraw

This is my first real Machinima that I am doing.  I understand your problem...as well as learning simply how to organize all the files.  Unfortunately, being unexperienced, I have deleted some of the raw .veg files that I needed to make changes so a couple of my scenes are screwed.  What I did was get a scene done as I THOUGHT it would be final and rendered it as a .wmv file and then deleting the originals.  That gave me a ton more space. But then after watching the video a couple times I discovered mistakes that now I cant fix except to reshoot the entire scene.  I am using two hard drives, one internal and one external.  It is a MESS!  I have learned that for a good length movie/video you need a minimum of 1 Tb just to be on the safe side...and that drive solely dedicated for video making.  I am at 541 gigs of material so far myself.

September 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

you do need a TB of space!

my externals never stay connected long enough for me to move great heaps of stuff.

One thing, though, if you aren't using FRAPS, try it. It films beautifully and the videos aren't as huge as EA's giant files. That helps.

What I do, too, is I keep saves from each scene on a hd. That way if I must go back and fix something, I can just load it and all the things are in place. This machinima, alone, I have 60 saves so far (I save two times all the time)

--

September 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stiles Mcgraw

I used to use fraps too. However, both fraps files and in-game recorder files are huge.  The advantage of fraps (for me) is the end result is much higher definition.  In game recorder creates a more blurry picture that requires sharpening in the vegas stage. Unfortunately, fraps makes my game stutter unbelievably!  I went back to ingame recorder for smoother cam swings and smoother sim movements. I have not figured out how to get fraps to record stutter free.  I know its not my system. I have 16 gigs ram, an Intel 3770k 4 core hyperthread processor (Ivy Bridge) and an MSI 770 lightning graphics card.

September 2, 2013 at 3:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stiles Mcgraw

Cloudwalker, as far as your external hard drive/ USB connection goes, I have a couple of recommendations that might help.  First, I might suspect the connections to be dirty or faulty..faulty meaning not quite fitting right.  The easiest and cheapest fix would be to take each end of the interconnect cable and give it a shot of WD40.  Trust me...this is 100% electrically safe.  Next, if that didn't work, I would replace the cable.  I am almost positive one of these two remedies will cure your problem.

And finally as a last resort, maybe check into seeing if your USB drivers could be updated.

September 2, 2013 at 3:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

I am using fraps and I heard from others that it makes the footage choppy too, but it doesn't for me, at least not any more than anything I film ingame. My biggest problem is that I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my ingame camera to film the proper frame size despite trying the tutorials. I must go back to revisit that after this project is done.

--

September 2, 2013 at 6:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stiles Mcgraw

Would you be talking about the aspect ratio?  It crunches a 16:9 picture into a 4.3 aspect ratio.  Once again, thank God for Sony! The Vegas Pro 11.  After importing raw videos into Sony Vegas, I place the file on the timeline, right-click, select Properties and uncheck "maintain aspect ratio".  This will place the aspect back to 16:9.

September 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

Hi, I have NO issues at all with FRAPS compared to the ingame now that I used Shimrod's mod.

http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/4489-the-sims-3-camera/

The computer is fairly new and I've used several cords. I know my usb speed might be faster than the external's but it's supposed to downgrade to it.

Min, make sure you change ALL the ini files for every EP and some don't even have the ini, so copy and paste. If you need me to send you the ini file, just ask.

--

September 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.