Simatography 

and homebase of SIFF

Forums

Forum Home > SIFF Fall 2014 - 10th Anniversary Cycle - CLOSED > SIFF 10th Pre-Planning

Minraed
Site Owner

SIFF 10th Anniversary Celebration

Thanks to Gus Rockman and Jorgha Haq and their endless enthusiasm (they started their own planning for this before our last SIFF had even ended) I can't stop thinking of ideas for what will surely be our biggest and best SIFF EVAH!

Here are some of my brainstorm ideas so feel free to add your own into this thread. We can't promise to include all of your ideas, but we will take them all into consideration.

• I will put out a call for volunteers to be on the planning committee - we will be doing more than usual so we will really need help for a number of things.
  • A celebration of machinima and Sims past, present and future. SIFF 10th will come in the fall of 2014 which is when Sims 4 is due so I want to really showcase more Sims 2 machinima makers, Sims 3 of course, and in some way include something in anticipation of Sims 4 and what it will bring.
  • I have an idea for a SIFF memories - a best of showcase from the past years.
  • I am considering opening a category for past machinima - allowing people to submit one machinima from the past as part of a celebration of where we started and how far we have come.
  • I've already lost track of the rest of the ideas, but I'll come back to it.

I hope you guys are as excited as we are!

If you think you already know that you would like to be on the committee just let us know by responding here and once we are ready to get it started we'll call on you.

--

November 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt Golden

i would LOVE to help, but.... what do you need exactly to enter to the committee?

--

November 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

I will have more details later. I expect to make an official call for sign ups in January, but for now we're just brainstorming.

Some ideas are

- planning for events, activities, challenges and general ideas for what we could do to celebrate (anyone is free to add their ideas here to start)

- running challenges

- promotion, helping to get the word out

- talent scouts to help us attract new talent, but also we will really want to showcase some Sims2 machinima

- people with good graphic arts skills will be needed for magazine help, posters, ads etc

- machinima makers could help with promotional videos

Again, any random brainstorm ideas are welcome here.

--

November 10, 2013 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jorgha Haq
Administrator

Just remember, that the 10th anniversary isn't going to be until Fall 2014. We have plenty of time. Gus and I are just crazy and the one thing we really really really want to do is going to take a lot of time for the two of us to get together.

--

http://www.simsweeklyworldnews.info
http://jorgha-haq.tumblr.com/

November 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

I'm really excited too about Sims4 since by then we should have a good idea of what will be in store, and if the release is before SIFF we might even see a bit of a taste of what Sims4 machinima might look like.

--

November 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

I think overall you guys have SIFF running smoothly like a well oiled machine.  The festival itself is fun and offers opportunities for all sorts of simmers.  But as I have always felt, the weakest part of SIFF is the promotions part.  Participants are normally friends of staffers or returning artists.  (I myself had initially learned about SIFF through a Staff member who I followed on youtube.)  And sure a few newbies join in each new season, BUT for some reason, SIFF just doesn't reach a wider audience. There are so many machinima artists out there yet they don't know about the festival.  I would love to see SIFF grow to a hundred films per season! 

I know you guys post on facebook, twitter and tumbler but you really are only reaching the followers there.  If someone isn't already following those accounts, they won't know.  How can you reach new people or a wider audience?  I think you should put together a strong PR team and promote, promote, promote.  Get serious about getting the word out.  And I do have a couple of ideas to share about that.

• I think the number one place for you to promote and which is being under utilized is Youtube.  For a festival that promotes movies and videos, it's kinda funny that you don't use the most popular video place for promotions.  During previous SIFF, you use youtube to 'like' videos and to organize videos into a playlist.  That's great and good.  But youtube has a really powerful search engine and if you were more active on youtube, you would come up more during searches and get a lot more hits by people who are searching sims in general.  When I mean active, I mean actually posting something on your channel, not just adding things in a playlist.  An idea would be to make short 60 second videos to let people know what's going on with the festival and on the site.  Like a little news series or gossip series.  Something fun and engaging.  And maybe post twice a week. 

• The second spot for promoting is the Simatography site itself.  Sometimes I will come here during SIFF and the forums haven't been active for a couple days.  Keeping the forums fresh and lively is a must, I feel.  Especially when someone new comes by and is looking for what kind of action is happening.  If the forums are dead, it may mislead people to think the festival is dead.  So I think back and one of the highlights in a previous season was when we had the Exposer.  The forums were hopping and that thread still has one of the highest view counts.  I'm just saying that the mini-contests and the rising stars mags just aren't enough to keep the forum going.  If we could get someone to do a gossip article like Exposer it would be awesome!  The special thing with The Exposer is that he included everyone on the site in the article, it drew everyone in because they knew they could be included at one point or another. 

I think that's all I have for now.  I hope you will consider my ideas.  Maybe, if I'm not too busy during Spring SIFF, I might offer to come back to help out with promotions if you'd like.

--

November 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

Sylent, your insights always rock and are spot on. This is what I had always loved and appreciated when you were with us on the team. I agree with you 120% on all of this.

The problem is... who will help? This is exactly why I'm putting this call out for staff and volunteers. I have dozens of ideas, many of which are what you stated above, but I can't do it all.

Last season I tried to do a challenge to promote SIFF, but didn't really get any responses. I was inspired because of the great ones that you, Christie and a few others did in previous seasons. I would LOVE if people would be up for doing this sort of thing.

To add to that, I'm not exactly the best person for knowing how to really utilize YouTube. I know that there are better ways to use it and get the name out there, I just don't know how, and I have not had the time to sit and play around to figure it out. Suggestions welcome.

Machinima School should start up soon, we will be posting these vids on our channel. Posting our own vids is something I have known for a while that needs to be done. Regular, consistent content is how any one get's followers. Now.. back to time :(  This is my biggest barrier, that and not having the staff or volunteers to help out.

Adding to that, I'm not very good at delegating when it really comes down to it. My plan is to really shout out there to find people willing to jump on board and help out in some way.

Exposer and Pippa Razzi were awesome. This was another thing that I had tried in the past to get rolling. To invite people to create characters to roleplay in a way that you described. Unfortunately, no luck. Again I will admit, just as you said, it is about promotion promotion promotion. You are absolutely right about this part. This is our weakness, a fact that has plagued me endlessly.

Perhaps people will read this and jump up. If a few people could help with a few small things we would be on a roll. The main reason for me starting this now is that I want this 10th to be HUGE. I want to build on the coming Spring cycle and really ramp it up for the big FALL SIFF.

So far this season I have begun to revamp the rules list and made it into an ISSUU publication. I've started to invite people via YouTube too when I spot them. I encourage all SIFFers to do that. You can now share the issuu publication with the updated 2014 dates for Spring.

Sylent, thank you. This is helpful, even if my ideas are much the same, it is important to hear them from others. Hopefully I'll get some help on board, but first I will have to commit to asking for it. Something I have a hard time doing.

--

November 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

Sylent makes excellent points. I try to keep the forum active during SIFF (how's the project going, etc) and I do try to invite new members.

What I have been doing, too, is on Tumblr there are amazing simatographers so I've trying to message them and ask them to join, but we need to keep the forums hopping.

During SIFF (and right before) time is so tight that I know I didn't have a spare second to help with promotion videos. But perhaps before?

(I say let's grab Nittens and give him cookies to help us out ;) with some youtube promotions. )

I think what I will do, too, is go through all my object videos which get a lot of hits and promote SIFF on those. MTS has a dedicated machinima forum section. I post there but rarely see any of us! We should be active there as much as possible I think.

I also wonder if Garden of Shadows should have more of our posts now it's up. They, too, have a machinima forum section.

I promote on every forum I can think of, but perhaps I can do more.

Delegate, Min, delegate.

--

November 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

OMG I am never going to learn. I just typed a whole marathon post and lost it. This work computer does this to me every time.  Here I go again...

I started with some witty curse of Sylent for the inspiration. Thankfully I didn't read this before bed or I would never have slept. I walked faster than ever to work today and the wheels have not stopped spinning.  Here were some of my ideas.

• LIST of potential supporters, Nittens for one, just like you suggested Cloud. I also have several others in mind. I will ask them if they would be willing to promote, share, retweet, etc. I will ask if anyone is willing to interview me or another one of us to help spread the word.
  • A short and funny help wanted machinima ad
  • PROMOS - we NEED promo vids, like Sylent said. We really do. I will ad a request for this in the help wanted ad. I also have an idea of my own that I will try to put together (a team effort type of thing)
  • My own commitment - if I make a habit of opening all necessary pages all the time on my second monitor (maybe I need three computer monitors!) Then I can make the updating progress more efficient, and more streamlined when I utilize the connections between tumblr, twitter and facebook so not to have to keep reposting things.
  • Cloud, what you suggested, promoting on other forums and communities would be another great way. I will continue to encourage others to do that.
  • PERSONALITIES - I will continue to build on Tabby Lloyd. I have a connection with a highly snooty patron of the arts, Dick Smart who might be ready for a moment in the spotlight. I would love to "hire" a few more personalites to help us in the spirit of Pippa Razzi and the Exposer.
  • Forums here - I also need to be more active myself. Set a good example. I'll make an effort to be more chatty and involved. Also, I get updates from all over the community which might be helpful and enjoyed here.
  • Machinima School - I have had a few setbacks over the past two months, but it seems I'm back in order so there is nothing really holding me back. I've done quite a bit of preplanning so it is time to get this underway.

Phew!  I wish I was at home right now. I have too many ideas! Plus I want to start up a Holiday/Winter/Christmas/New Year challenge thingy. So, I'll be back in a few hours.

--

November 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ballantyne

Wow, really great points about promoting :)

I am wondering, are there many decals/graphics just for simatography or simatography.webs.com (rather than SIFF ). Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, but I could only find one.  I think in-between SIFFs it would be good to continue to promote the site as much as possible as a "Sims machinima community" to build more excitment leading up to the next SIFF. I don't have much influence myself, but I will try and spread the word where I can. :)

November 26, 2013 at 11:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

@Min, I totally understand why you don't want to delegate.  It starts to make you feel bossy when you tell people what to do and I know you don't want to feel like a boss with your Simatography Staff.  You want it to be fun and creative so you tend to give everyone free reign.  You are a really awesome boss like that!!  But without any structure, there are gaps in areas that need major attention, like promoting, that aren't being filled.

I'm not sure how things run now behind the scenes but when I was a staffer you would give us a list of ideas/tasks and tell us to take on what we can handle and leave the rest.  Whatever didn't get done, just didn't get done.  I think you need to build core positions and make sure those are always filled.  Someone that doesn't commit to anything can run their own ideas, but at least the core positions would have someone in them.

I really reccommend coming up with titled positions you need for every SIFF and giving staffers specific jobs.  If a certain position isn't filled or someone drops, then you know what to recruit for.  That way all areas are consistently monitored and all important roles will not be missed.  I think you currently have a great staff team but you need to give them also great roles to fully utilize their talent and creativity.

(I have a lot more on staffing and structuring, let me know if you are interested in hearing about it, I can PM you.)

@Cloudwalker, you can be a great PR representative for Simatography.  MTS, TSR and other high traffic sites are great ways to promote SIFF.  Don't be shy about contacting moderators to ask if they can post on the front page about SIFF.  I think the simming community is pretty openminded and friendly in general, they wouldn't mind helping us help them.  ;)  I mean in the long run, machinima makers are promoting Content Creators by using all their CC in their vids and such.  Custom Content sites and creators have a great reason to support SIFF even if they don't make machinima personally.  Also an idea, I wonder if MS3B would post about SIFF if asked nicely.  That place gets a lot of hits.

@Ballantyne, you have a great point.  Simatography tends to be dead in between SIFF seasons.  It would be really good to find a way to keep the site active during non SIFF events.  Shutterbugs used to bring in photographers but that really doesn't run anymore.  And you are right, it should be an ongoing machinima site to build the suspense going into SIFF.

--

November 27, 2013 at 1:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

ooh, I'm way too excited now. Sylent, we can chat on facebook sometime soon. It's the best place for me for a quick real-time chat. I'm always logged in.

Thank you all so much for this needed boost. I think that starting the promotions early and really talking about it now will give us a running start. Also, with the big 10th coming next Fall I really really need a solid group of people on board. More to come.

@Ballantyne. Crap. I was sure we had a spot for logos and banners. I'll get on that tonight when I get home from work. I'll find a place to put them all so that they are more obvious for all who want to use them, especially now with our recent updates. I have all of the newest logos that are the same as the ones we are using on the real-life merchandise.

Also, if you haven't already noticed this, please feel free to begin sharing. I've created a more user friendly version of the rules and tips page, and I'm working on the languages currently.

http://issuu.com/minraed/docs/siff_march_2014_rules_and_tips

--

November 27, 2013 at 6:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sylentwhysper

Love the issuu version of the Rules and guidelines.  Very neatly laid out and simple to follow.  I don't know if you will or not, but I do reccommend you still keep a version of it posted here at Simatography because text is searchable here.  Search engines will not pick up text on issuu documents.

Just an FYI, if you type SIFF into google search, simatography is the second item to show up in the list.  :)

--

November 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

Yes, I've updated the page here and will leave it here too.

--

November 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CloudwalkerSims

oh Paige Turner said she'd love to come on board and do some personality interviews (like Zane's perhaps)

When you guys are ready and have something specific, I will talk to Joe at M3SB. Heck, maybe even Twallan, and so many other simmers with huge followings who are instrumental in making machinima.

And simsvip, and mares nest, and sims3updates...

--

November 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

Yay! We would love to have Paige Turner. She also adds a different feel to the mix. Each of these three has a whole different personality.

I have some connection to a number of the YouTubers who I've met at EA.

I will not be really free until Sunday again, but I'll dedicate at least half of Sunday to getting some of this done. I also have a full week off over Christmas so this would be a good time to get things going for a new year kickoff.

--

November 28, 2013 at 6:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

@Ballantyne and anyone else wanting the logos. I've added a forum post and a gallery of images.

HERE  for the forum post

HERE for the gallery

--

December 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peacemaker
Administrator

I can help out where needed, I am just not big on ideas, but I can help put things together as needed :) 

--

December 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SimsDiva24

Hi. I know I am really new to SIFF having only entered it the previous SIFF, but I can definitely help or flat out make any promotional videos you would want for your YouTube channel to help spread the word about SIFF and build anticipation. Maybe they could also include some very basic rules for SIFF and how to enter so more Simmers could find out about it through YouTube. There are a ton of Sims machinima makers on YouTube that are very talented that just haven't heard of you, and from only looking at your YouTube page wouldn't be sure what it is you do. I feel like just a few short videos explaining what SIFF is and showing highlights from previous SIFF's to help promote it and build anticipation for it. But yeah if that is something you would want me to do I could definitely do it.

December 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Minraed
Site Owner

grr. I kept trying to comment from work and it just wouldn't take. My stupid work computer.

Anyway.. @ Peace - be careful what you offer up for because as a man of so many talents, you might get taken advantage of. Oh wait.. we already do that.

@PromDiva  we would be honoured to have your help with machinima promos. This, as Sylent has said, is a major gap for us. Last season we tried a little promo challenge that didn't go over great, but I didn't put enough promo into that either. So ya.. If you have time, that would be awesome!  The more different people who get involved, the more the word gets out.

--

December 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.